Tuesday, November 29, 2011

jewellery as a matter of faith

A couple of days ago one of my professors shared a lecture on contemporary jewellers and jewellery practices.  I often find myself uncertain about what I would like to personally do with my own jewellery practices, but this lecture sort of reaffirmed my decision to continue studying jewellery and metalsmithing, embracing the whole contemporary culture of jewellery.  My professor shared several segments of writing by contemporary jewellers, the following of which I found rather intriguing...

Another thing I have learned about jewellery is that jewelers are not very communicative.  Their work is not created to tempt their buyers.  And also in that sense jewellery cannot be compared with design, which is overtly designed to seduce the buyer by its use of colour, form and market strategies.  That is why everybody wants the newest ipod and iphone – they are designed to overrule all rational decision making, they are bought on an impulse.  Jewellery on the other hand, tries to convince.  Jewellery is a matter of faith.  You have to believe in it before you purchase it. But you can stir this faith by clever communication strategies.  ["The Power of Jewellery," Liesbeth den Besten] 

Another thing I found particularly interesting about contemporary jewellery and the direction with which it is heading is that it has really opened up the doors to what is jewellery? and what are the barriers or guidelines that classify an article of body adornment as jewellery?  We talked about the idea of a tattoo being an article of jewellery...I am not too sure how I feel about this particular idea, but I am interested in labelling a tattoo as an article of body adornment.  I'd absolutely love to have the following tattoo as a piece of jewellery.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment