Saturday, June 02, 2012

three hour challenge

In one of my classes this past semester we had the opportunity to participate in a wide variety of in class challenges - whereby we were given a design task at the beginning of class that was to be fulfilled within the three hour time frame of the class.  These challenges were designed to encourage us to think critically as designers and generate innovative ideas that could be constructed within a short time frame.

Our first three hour challenge was to design and construct a ring that could be worn in three different ways - this ring did not have to be made in precious metals, but could embody the use of any material we preferred.  While I was able to complete the challenge within the time frame, in all honesty, I found it quite frustrating.  I tried to scramble through my ideas as quickly as possible, yet found myself distracted by the stress level that was quickly rising in the studio :S It almost reminded me of an OCAD University version of Project Runway (not nearly as intense) but in the sense that people are moving quickly around the room like flies and you're just waiting for an accident to happen... Anyhow, it wasn't really all that bad and as we continued to complete these challenges, you were able to get a feel for how you worked best under stress. 

The following challenge was to create a collection of three or more articles of jewellery that embodied a common theme and used at least three different materials OR three different techniques.  I chose to work with maple, walnut, yarn/thread, and ribbon and utilize the techniques of piercing, embroidery and sewing. I found this project to be a little more enjoyable the second time around!



Modeled by my littlest sister, Natasha Kaldeway

No comments:

Post a Comment