Wednesday, December 21, 2011

christmas crafts

I was walking down Queen Street West a few weekends ago with Lydia and we came across these light fixtures in a modern home design store.  Since then, I've began searching online for a DIY tutorial because I figured it has definitely been done before and was an affordable craft for the holiday season.  I came upon a very easy and simple DIY for these particular lights on the blog Wednesday.  She seems to use them more for sculptural purposes but I think they could be used in a variety of ways.


My sister came home this past weekend which has filled the past few days with lots of Christmas crafts and baking.  Earlier this week we scavenged through the thrift stores in town looking for yarn and any other treasures that caught our eyes.  We were able to find a few bundles of yarn for only fifty cents each as well as a few antique dishes and a wool sweater for only $3! It was refreshing to visit all these places again, as I'd spent a good portion of my summer in these shops.  This typography art print by Ashley G. on etsy pretty much describes my approach to all forms of shopping. 

Anyhow, the greatest thing about these Christmas lights is that they don't take very many materials to make.  All you'll need are a couple bundles of yarn, warm water, corn starch, vaseline, balloons, white glue, a pair of scissors and a few friends.  Start by mixing 1/4 cup warm water, 1/2 cup corn starch and 4 oz white glue in a bowl.  Don't be afraid to get messy!


Blow up the balloons to a medium size - try to keep the balloon as round as possible - and lather each balloon in a coat of vaseline to prevent the yarn from sticking to the balloon once dry.  Hang each balloon above the ground so that they will dry evenly - we just strung the balloons to a broom pole that hung between two kitchen stools.  Once the balloons have been hung, have one person lather the yarn with the corn starch paste, while the other wraps the balloon evenly.  (If interested in placing a light fixture inside the sculpture afterward, be sure to leave room at the top for doing so).  Once each balloon has been wrapped, allow to dry for 24 hours.


 After 24 hours, check if the yarn has dried by pressing the balloon inward.  Rather than popping the balloon instantly, grab the top of the balloon and prick a small hole to let the air out slowly as shown below.  Carefully thread the remainders of the balloon through the top of the ball.


My sisters and I decided to have a little bit of fun with these balls before they will be spray painted.  I am really happy with how they've turned out :) I think we may hang them in the kitchen above the window or perhaps above the fireplace in the living room.  We've yet to spray paint them, but I'll be sure to post a photo once they're finished and in place.  My mom seems to fancy a silver colour, but I think I may just go with a winter grey.  


 Happy Crafting to all :)


No comments:

Post a Comment