Wednesday, December 14, 2011

where the wild things are

Today I had the opportunity to photograph a few of my jewelry pieces from this past semester.  I recently received back a narrative piece I fabricated back in January; inspired by the childhood story Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak.  Much of this story is about our imagination and how our thoughts and feelings are necessary elements of our development.  As a child is given the opportunity to dream and imagine, her character grows and matures, aiding in the development from child to adult.  I have chosen to create a visual representation of one of Sendak’s illustration through the construction of a sterling silver and brass haircomb.

In the past, I have usually asked one of my teenage sisters to model my work for me - but both of them found themselves much too busy today. However, I was in great luck when my beautiful eight year old sister said “I’d love to help you Jocey!”  She even came up with the idea of having her read the story Where the Wild Things Are while I took her photo.  She got a little bit giddy at the end, but I’m definitely sensing a modeling career in her future!



No comments:

Post a Comment